Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Random Debate Meanderings

I usually look forward to "Town Hall" debates, as the folks typically come up with more interesting questions than the network talking heads. Unfortunately, no such luck. I'm convinced that my idea of voting by essay is the only way to go. Stupid explanation as to why you want your candidate to win? Doesn't count. Spelling, grammar, and mechanics errors? Round file.

Nationalize bad mortgages?!?! Did I just hear John McCain explain that he wants to spend $300 billion purchasing bad mortgages?! We just watched the end of free-market, conservatism.

Both of these guys -- McCain and O'Bama (that's a deliberate apostrophe!) -- have plans that simply pander to the masses, suggesting how they'll give and give to more and more.

Reminds me of a great quote by my favorite misanthrope, and Baltimorean, H.L. Mencken: "If there had been any formidable body of cannibals in the country," he said of Truman's 1948 campaign, "he would have promised to provide them with free missionaries fattened at the taxpayers' expense."

If John McCain needed to change the debate, go for the jugular, and invigorate the conservative base...he failed! Big time! I've been telling my children that, if O'Bama wins, we're moving to Italy. The only question now is...Sicily or Umbria?

1 comment:

Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

Since spelling counts, it's "Baltimorean."